Some things Are Not Meant To Be.

Whenever I met Salma aunty at weddings and social gatherings, she would say something to me that I thought was very funny. I had a tough time not cracking up and laughing every time she said that.

Salma aunty was my dad’s cousin. She was a very sweet lady, always smiling and talking. Every time we bumped into each other, which was not too often, as we lived in different towns, she would always chat with me for some time. When she took leave of me, she would say THAT.

I often  teased my dad about her proclamation and he would say , “I have come up in life . That is why she says that. If I had fallen on dire straits, her thoughts would have been different.”

Well, the story goes like this. When my father and Salma aunty were young, the elders decided that they should get married. They got engaged and my father who was working in Sri Lanka (then called Ceylon) was over the moon.

Their wedding was to take place two years later. During this period, when my father came down to India, he would bring lovely gifts for Salma aunty. Heart shaped boxes of chocolates, imported from Britain. Tin boxes of biscuits with cardamom icing. Delicate laces which Ceylon was famous for. Tea leaves for her dad. Cinnamon sticks to spice up her mother’s curry. Lovely gifts for his future wife. My grandmother and aunt  tease him even to this day, about his well thought out tokens of love.

But sad to say, something untoward happened at that time. My father did not marry his cousin Salma.

Salma aunty’s  older sister, a mother of two, died suddenly of some rare disease. The motherless children clung to Salma for love. Faced with such a situation, her parents took the decision which was customary in those times. Salma would marry her sister’s husband and be a good mother to those children.

I don’t know if Salma protested or not. It may seem very surprising to us now. But in those days, girls like Salma were like the sacrificial goat. They were garlanded and with heads bowed,  led to the altar their parents decided upon.

Salma was married off to her brother in law with in a short period. After some initial hiccups, my grandparents settled upon a new bride for my father. They were married and I was born a year later.

If I asked my father, what his feelings were , when he heard the news about Salma being married to her brother in law, he would brush me off by saying that he does not remember.

“I must have been sad for some time. But I married your wonderful mother right?”  He would laugh looking at my mother to see her reaction.

But Salma aunty must have been devastated. Especially when my father had four lovely children, started a business in Chennai and grew from strength to strength. He traveled the world, always with my mother by his side and he was also a philanthropist who did so much for the betterment of our home town.

Salma aunty, married to an older man, had one son and  a middle class life. That was her Karma.

Who can go against God’s will?

Like I said, on the occasions that I met Salma aunty, I made an effort to be nice to her.

On these encounters, she would hug me, and plant a kiss on my forehead and say those words which I in my childish way, found funny.

What Salma aunty said to me, was a reflection of her deeply buried feelings of many years, a longing for what could have been. If only …!

What did she say laughingly to me, every time we met?

She said, “You should have been born from my womb. No ma?”

Only, being not so smart, she said ‘stomach’ instead of womb.

“You should have been born from my stomach. No ma?”

Now that I am older and wiser, I think that those are some of saddest words a woman could ever say.

photo courtesy- sir5life0 , Alexandra Haynak and Murthy SN from Pixabay.

This entry was posted in We Indians! and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Some things Are Not Meant To Be.

1. Indira Narayanan says:

That was a wonderful read Gulsum..Really enjoyed it..Gave me a nostalgic ache thinking of the bygone days..Would like to read the whole book…will try to buy it when I come to Chennai next…Good luck my friend…

2. Devika says:

Lovely touching narrative Gulsum. She WAS indeed a sacrificial goat

3. nvsubbaraman says:

Very interesting personality. Enjoyed reading.Thanks

4. Sherin femina says:

Very interesting to read,last line is very touching

5. Usha says:

Interesting short narrative, gulsum. Apt title and touching story.

6. Susan says:

Real life story, so beautifully strung. Can’t help feeling sorry for the sad twists and turns in some women’s life

7. Vimali Thiagarajan says:

Kannadasan song comes to my memory. Neenaithathelam nadaindhuvital deviam…i can understand that aunty’s feeling. She cannot digest it. While recollecting her past she will be miserable. People say it is for our good. GOD always plans well. It is not that easy. Very touching dear.

8. Beena says:

A sad story from Salma’s side.
    One wonders had she been married to a wealthy young man and uttered the same words whether one would interpret pain or light hearted frivolity!
    The gifts from Ceylon takes us back to a bygone Era and brings to life the joy one used to feel receiving Foreign gifts !
    A very simple real life story which brings out the depth of a woman’s feelings and her silent sacrificial suffering, brilliantly told in a short story.

9. Anonymous says:

Amazing Gul. The way u have scripted is chanceless. Did this really happen to your Dad or fabricated? I can place myself in the place of Salma aunty who just accepted what her parents told and led the rest of her life in silent grief. Continue writing. God Bless U Gul

10. Anonymous says:

Sad… I feel bad for Salma aunty… somehow I feel even if the dad hadn’t come up in life, Salma aunty’s thoughts wouldn’t have been any different….

11. Kumari Parthiban says:

How devastated Salma aunty must have been.Good read .
    Perhaps somethings are not meant to be.

12. Renuka Rajagopal says:

Very sad that women like Salma in those days were not able to express their views.

13. Anonymous says:

A very moving story Gul. Enjoyed it. People face different situations , troubles and trials in life. We can remain strong only with God’s grace , mercy and love.

Pramila

14. Joy . says:

Lovely and interesting dear. Very sad to know how Salama would have felt. Last lines were very touching dear. Keep writing Gulsum.

15. Fahmida says:

Such a poignant tale . Brought a lump in my throat. I know an aunt who married her brother in law after her sister died leaving 2 small children. Can connect with the sacrifice. Que sera sera !

16. Rehana ahmed says:

It is amazing , the way u weave stories around every day simple incidents , which v fail to give importance or notice them . Refreshing stories , with message wrapped in them ! Real talent!

17. Nasreen Akbar says:

Very touching story and narrated in a simple manner how cherished dreams are shattered. About how women are silent sacrificing lambs.

Your comments are valuable. Feel free to pen your thoughts here.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s